By Richard J. Reid
- Adopts a long term method of present matters, stressing the significance of nineteenth-century and deeper indigenous dynamics in explaining Africa's later twentieth-century challenges
- Places a better concentrate on African service provider, particularly in the course of the colonial encounter
- Includes extra in-depth assurance of non-Anglophone Africa
- Offers extended assurance of the post-colonial period to take account of modern advancements, together with the clash in Darfur and the political unrest of 2011 in Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya
Read or Download A History of Modern Africa: 1800 to the Present (Wiley Blackwell Concise History of the Modern World) PDF
Best african history books
Within the Nineties a national crime wave overtook Côte d’Ivoire. The Ivoirian police didn't keep an eye on the location, so a gaggle of negative, politically marginalized, and as a rule Muslim males took at the position of the people’s protectors as a part of a circulation they known as Benkadi. those males have been dozos—hunters expert in ritual sacrifice—and they utilized their looking and occult services, besides the moral ideas implicit in either types of wisdom, to the monitoring and taking pictures of thieves.
Uranium from Africa has lengthy been a big resource of gasoline for nuclear strength and atomic guns, together with the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. In 2003, after the notorious "yellow cake from Niger," Africa without notice turned infamous as a resource of uranium, an element of nuclear guns. yet did that admit Niger, or any of Africa's different uranium-producing international locations, to the opt for society of nuclear states?
During this haunting chronicle of betrayal and abandonment, ostracism and exile, racism and humiliation, Vincent Crapanzano examines the tale of the Harkis, the area of one million Algerian auxiliary troops who fought for the French in Algeria’s conflict of independence. After tens of millions of Harkis have been massacred through different Algerians on the finish of the conflict, the survivors fled to France the place they have been put in camps, a few for so long as 16 years.
A reconstruction of the historical past and customs of the Gogo humans of Africa, established partly on oral histories, tribal legends and myths. This paintings used to be first released in Swahili in 1954 and was once subsidized through the British Colonial govt in an try and advertise "tribal" cohesion.
- Kenya in Perspective - Orientation Guide and Swahili Cultural Orientation: Geography, History, Economy, Security, Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru, Kenyatta, Lake Victoria, Maasai, Samburu, Tribes, Bantu
Extra info for A History of Modern Africa: 1800 to the Present (Wiley Blackwell Concise History of the Modern World)
A History of Modern Africa: 1800 to the Present (Wiley Blackwell Concise History of the Modern World) by Richard J. Reid